Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Business Plan for the Spreadsheet-o-phobic? Sign me up!

Writing a business plan? Ugh. I've started several variations. I've made notes. But in the end, it never gets written. Someone recommended the book the Right Brain Business Plan by Jennifer Lee a couple years ago. 



I bought it. Then it sat in my office collecting dust. Because it's really going to be helpful in there. Right? HA! I picked it up, dusted it off, and started reading it this week. I haven't gotten very far into it. I haven't even done any of the exercises. So I really can't give a recommendation-good or bad at this point. 

I hope I love it and it helps me to tackle that task which I've put off for about 6 years now. Because honestly, I'd rather make beads and/or jewelry than write about making stuff....it's kind of up there with doing taxes. 

My first thought after reading a few chapters is that you will not be able to walk into a bank asking for a loan, or a meeting with an accountant with a business plan that looks like a 3rd grader cut up magazines and pasted the pictures into a collage....but Lee mentions that she will cover that later in the book. I am looking forward to it. 

One of the things I've learned so far is this is NOT a one size fits all business plan. Some of the ideas for building the plan: An accordion style booklet


A mobile made with paper plates (while I have no idea what I will try, I guarantee it will NOT be a mobile...)


Even a leather cuff



While that might seem the most obvious direction for me to go, I'm pretty sure I won't make jewelry containing my business plan. 

There are many more ideas for how to build the business plan...a box, scrapbook, index cards on a ribbon, etc. I am not sure which method is for me yet. Maybe it will make more sense as I get further into the book. Maybe not. All I know is it's time to see the big picture in black and white.

Do you have a business plan? What helped you most in the process of writing it? Would you be interested in me sharing the process and if this particular book helped me? Leave a comment below. 

Lee has a website with a couple "free" downloads for the cost of your email address. You can find the link at the very top of the page.  

-Jen Cameron

7 comments :

  1. Yes Jen I would be interested in learning about a business plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the book tip; I just ordered it. This is one thing I know I should do, but the thought is so painful that I haven't. Perhaps this book will help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, writing a business plan seems about as interesting as taxes to me, too. Not because I don't want to have a good one or that I'm not excited to be in business,...but it's the writing of all the 'do-da' you 'plan' to do, your SOP's, your projected income (or lack there of) and all that junk that just turns my brain to mush and starts reminding me of Charlie Brown's school teacher,..."WaWaWa,..Wawawawa,...Wawa wawawa". Yes, I'm sure it would be a wonderful thing to learn about, read about and actually write after all this time of just having 'business plan notes' on a piece of paper. :-) You Go JEN!! Please help those of us who are stuck,....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, writing a business plan seems about as interesting as taxes to me, too. Not because I don't want to have a good one or that I'm not excited to be in business,...but it's the writing of all the 'do-da' you 'plan' to do, your SOP's, your projected income (or lack there of) and all that junk that just turns my brain to mush and starts reminding me of Charlie Brown's school teacher,..."WaWaWa,..Wawawawa,...Wawa wawawa". Yes, I'm sure it would be a wonderful thing to learn about, read about and actually write after all this time of just having 'business plan notes' on a piece of paper. :-) You Go JEN!! Please help those of us who are stuck,....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this idea of an "artsy" type business plan! Have done a few business plans - the very boring kind. Pending on your use for a business plan both can be very helpful! I could see the more artistic style being great for personal use and reflextion! The boring type are needed when your want to approach a bank. Would be very interested in how you make out with this and I want to add that book to my list

    ReplyDelete
  6. No I do not have a business plan but now I know where I will go when I need one. LOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Jen, I would love to follow along as you write your business plan. I do not have one yet and I seriously get freaked out about all of the verbage that it takes to run a busines.

    My plan in a nutshell: Buy beads and wire, make jewelry, sell jewelry (as of yet to do on a grand scale), buy more beads and wire, maybe some Ramen...
    ((At this point I think you can see I am in desperate shape))

    Looking forward to seeing what you have to share, and oh yes I think I need to get the book too!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.