Sunday, March 24, 2013

Folklore Follow up - Foxes

Folklore Friday Sunday...
I have been thinking about foxes lately. How they may be the next owls... So I took a chance to do a second, brief folklore post. Hope you dont mind! Let me start off with a diverse treasury - beads, jewelry, prints, fibers... 




The term "foxy" in English is defined as meaning - as the obvious "having the qualities of a fox" - also "attractive" and "sexy", as well as "red-haired" . And "to outfox" means "to beat in a competition of wits", the synonym of "outguess", "outsmart" or "outwit"

The first fox folklore? from Aesop's Fables, dated 4 BC:  A Fox once saw a Crow fly off with a piece of cheese in its beak and settle on a branch of a tree. "That's for me, as I am a Fox," said Master Reynard, and he walked up to the foot of the tree. "Good-day, Mistress Crow," he cried. "How well you are looking to-day: how glossy your feathers; how bright your eye. I feel sure your voice must surpass that of other birds, just as your figure does; let me hear but one song from you that I may greet you as the Queen of Birds." The Crow lifted up her head and began to caw her best, but the moment she opened her mouth the piece of cheese fell to the ground, only to be snapped up by Master Fox. "That will do," said he. "That was all I wanted. In exchange for your cheese I will give you a piece of advice for the future ."Do not trust flatterers."
Renart the fox, drawn by E.Griset, from a children's book; pub. 1869.
  • Reynard the fox has been a character appearing in literature and popular culture since the late 1100's. He is an anthropomorphized peasant/hero. The association with foxes and wily behavior, sly character, and trickiness seems to date this far into out cultural history. The Medieval Norman adventurer Robert Guiscard was nicknamed "Robert the Fox" as well as the Resourceful, the Cunning, the Wily - underlining the identification of such qualities with foxes. 


Moche fox effigy vessel  AD 450-550
  • The Moche people of ancient Peru worshiped animals and often depicted the fox in their art.The Moche people believed the fox to be a warrior that would use his mind to fight. The fox would not ever use physical attack, only mental.

 

  • The cunning Fox is commonly found in Native American mythology, where it is portrayed as a Trickster, and common companion to coyote. Fox, however, is a deceitful companion who often steals Coyote's food. In the Achomawi creation myth, Fox and Coyote are the co-creators of the world, who leave just before the arrival of humans.  An Inuit story tells of how Fox, portrayed as a beautiful woman, tricks a hunter into marrying her, only to resume her true form and leave after he offends her.
    "The Fox Maiden" by Susan Seddon Boulet (1941-1997).
  • In Chinese, Japanese, and Korean folklores, foxes (huli jing in Chinakitsune in Japan, and kumiho in Korea) are powerful spirits that are known for their highly mischievous and cunning nature, and they often take on the form of female humans to seduce men. In contemporary Chinese, the word "huli jing" is often used to describe a mistress negatively in an extramarital affair.
  • Kitsune are closely associated with Inari, the Shinto deity of rice, agriculture and industry. Often depicted with multiple tales - the number of tales is an indicator of their increased wisdom, power, and age. They are spirit foxes, and can take on human form, usually that of a beautiful woman. Many tales tell of their human disguise slipping as a glimpse of their tale is seen. Other tales tell of their marriages to mortal men, bearing children that have supernatural powers. When the mortal discovers the kitsune's true nature, she must leave him. ( Very similar to selkie tales of the British Isles. ) 

Resources: 
The Kitsune page -a compilation of fox lore from across world cultures. 
Fantastic Mr. Fox - need I say more? 
The Fox Project - a UK group rehabilitating and releasing injured and orphaned foxes. 


Hope you enjoyed that quick world tour of fox lore. Its a sampling of the stories, only scratching the surface. Until later... 


Jenny
www.jdaviesreazor.com


17 comments :

  1. I recall reading Aesops Fables... never realized they went all the way back to 4 BC! Very interesting and informative post ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! They are so timeless, universal. Imagine Aesop in a toga....

      Delete
  2. What an interesting blog!Great that you gave the Fox Project a mention too - I support them as well. Such lovely finds too - thanks Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have been "heart"ing your work on Etsy for a while now. Nice to "meet" you! I adore the Fox Project - their mission and the sweet pictures they post on Facebook! I have red foxes in my area, and don't know of any organization to assist them... Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Great post Jenny with wonderful images. I have experienced a fox taking one of my banty hens and in general being a menace to chickens and cats. But I fell in love with them after seeing the movie of Roald Dahl's Fantastic Mr. Fox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be hard to lose a hen! While the fox was only acting on his nature - he was invading your territory... I have a friend who regularly gets foxes in her yard eating her bird seed!
      Loved that movie! "What the cuss?"

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed the folklore surrounding foxes, but I love owls better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Owls will never leave my symbolic repertoire either Kathy!

      Delete
  5. What a fascinating post, Jenny! Thank you for sharing the results of your research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got so into it the post took longer than I expected> I want to sculpt a kimono wearing kitsune now...

      Delete
  6. I love learning various bits about the history and myth of foxes. Great post, very informative! I love all the visuals as well. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen - there werent as many fox elements to incorporate, maybe in the future. I am working on a fox pendant myself... I appreciate people being willing participants in my folklore musings!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this post, foxes have been on my mind lately. Trying to figure out how to make one in lampwork, may just have to try playing with that tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - intrigued! Please post pix of any results you want to share - on our FB page! (https://www.facebook.com/ArtJewelryElements)

      Delete
  8. WOWOWOW I didn't know all of that! What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked this blog! Such interesting information about foxes... I would like to ask how you were able to get your etsy treasury on your blog? I have not figured out how to do that yet! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a timely article as I need to start searching for a foxy box to hold the ashes of my Shiba Inu whose name was Kitsune. He was such an unusual dog that he really needs a unique place to rest.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.