Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Jumping the hurdles


So many times in our lives we are forced into or decide to start new paths.  It is one of the scariest things we do.  When we decide to make a change or try a new thing it can be overwhelming and I think one of those reasons is that we tend to be self-doubting.  We look for reassurance from friends and family but the most challanging part of it is our own lack of confidence and the "what if's" that tend to clog our minds.  Sometimes we need the push to do it and other times the motivation just takes on a life of it's own.

As artists we need to hear from others that we are on the right path.

This happened to me recently and I thought you may like to hear how a new path has opened for me.  Just like many of you I submitted pictures and pattern ideas only to hear "It is beautiful but....."  with reasons like it is not what they are looking for, they do not have enough room, it doesn't fit with their scheme.  I was taking all of them very personally.  Friends say "submit somewhere else"  or try again with something different but in the back of my mind there is always that "well they just don't like you".  Let me tell you something.  Until you hit that moment of realization that these people do not know you personally so it can't possibly be personal, you may be caught in the same rut.  A couple months ago I hit that moment and took the leap.  I submitted a design and it was accepted!  OMG now what?  Time to put my money where my mouth is right?  I had written on tutorial already and put that in my shop with limited success.  
There is the next hurdle I had to jump.  My first thought was "who am I to think I can make a magazine worthy tutorial?"  Well that is the next thing you need to get out of your head.  You designed the piece and they like it.  You CAN do this!!!  

I can not share this piece with you but I can tell  you that once I overcame this group of hurdles it was such a relief that I decided to sit down and design another piece and put it in my shop.

I am sure I will still have to keep fighting the initial self defeating thoughts but I now am perfectly aware that I can follow through with this new path and find myself wondering what the next hurdles are.

Do you have hurdles to overcome to start something new?

Kristen 

12 comments :

  1. Congratulations! You were always on the right path...sometimes those that judge the work of others just made a wrong turn. Have you ever seen some really crazy art shows and wondered how did that get in? It's just the preference of one particular judge, their vision and how they are feeling any particular day. Stay the path and stay true to yourself and I know you will succeed! Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Having you say that is reaffirming for sure!

      Delete
  2. This is so exciting. I am very happy for you. And yah, I know all about self doubt. I keep telling it to shut up and go away, but it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to shut the voices up but we can do it!

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy for you, congrats!

    I think rejection is the hardest thing anyone in the creative arts has to face. We put so much of ourselves into our creations that it's hard not to take rejection personally.

    I'm always encouraged to persevere when I remember that some of the most wonderful and creative works (like Anne of Green Gables and Harry Potter) were initially rejected many, many times. If we keep growing and improving and don't give up, the rewards will surely come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new venture! Your bracelets are absolutely beautiful. I think it's important as women, that we stick together and support our crafts.

    Good luck!
    http://belchousajewelry.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes we need to guide, support and encourage each other for sure!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though you love what you do and you do it so well, it is always wonderful to have your path validated in such a way. Congratulations! This is a well deserved honor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristen,
    As you know I am a big fan of your work. I have your tutorials and enjoy stitching them they work up so well and the instructions are very easy to follow. Rejection who does like it? I, like you and others have a hard time with it at first, but then I just say to myself "Oh well, such is life" and go on. You my friend will meet up with many more rejections, but there will be just as many or more exceptance to your designs.
    All the best to you my beady friend in your future endevors.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.