Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Process - Flowers, Continued

If you saw my post two weeks ago, Process - Flowers, then you are familiar with where I have been going with a particular design, Flowers.  I'm not a flowery person, per se, but this winter has been so gray that I have been craving color, I guess, and have been making my own version of flower beads.  Here's where I went next.
You may have seen these earrings on the Art Jewelry Elements Earring Challenge Pin Board.  I started making these flower beads with a regular, donut shaped bead and flower petals with dots on them.  I had/am having a lot of fun making these, I love figuring out color combintations!

Then I decided I wanted to make some buttons.  I love my button mandrels.  I have to say that I made these before I received the April issue of Soda Lime Times - this is my own process, and sometimes people come up with similar ideas.  In any event, I do like how these buttons look, and had fun using my pliers to make the ruffles. I'll have to figure out a way to provide more sophistication to the design; however, I can see these on a sweater for sure!  These measure 24x28 and to make a statement would need to be bigger - I plan on making more in a bigger size!

 Then I started making disc beads (with my CG Bead Roller) and put ruffles around those as well.  The top purple one you can see I tried to make into a heart.  I have a better idea for that and will try it the next time I'm at the torch.  I really like the lower left-hand ruffle bead, as well, with the two-toned ruffles.  I will be making more of these for sure!  I can see them being used for button closures for bracelets, etc.


While I was at it, I decided to put dots on disc beads - these ones are turquoise, lined with pea green, with teal green transparent dots. I really like these too!

Finally, during the same Saturday fun torch session, I made these disc beads into flowers.  This is just a variation of the donut-bead flowers, but may be more useful for different things...


So, I hope you enjoyed this second look into my own personal design process.  I have decided that I need to keep a sketch journal, as well, and will be getting one and some colored pencils this week! 

4 comments :

  1. I love your buttons, Sue... and your comment "sometimes people come up with similar ideas" is so true, perhaps more so in this day when we are all sharing our ideas so freely and instantly, and to a predominantly creative and expressive audience. That has happened to me many times, too. Now I just say: great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I love all of them...put lots in your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so gorgeous! And really brighten up the (gray) day - know what you mean about craving color!
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOWOWOWOW I love all of them but especially the button!!!!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.