Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Process - Flowers

I started making these flowers on my bent mandrels because 1) I can't throw them away, that would be wrong, and 2) I have lots of short rods of glass that I can't throw away either.  This solves both problems!


So on Friday, I decided to have a play day, and I made some more, but I added some dots of color to the petals and feel that they are waaaaaay cuter and more interesting with the dots.


Here's a closeup of one of the them.  When I took them out of the kiln, I took a photo and posted it on facebook.  I got a lot of "likes" for them, and one question about whether they were going to show up in my store.  I don't know if anyone would be interested in them, I may sell them on my blog, they will make great plant pokes, but it got me thinking.  What else could I make in this style?


Buttons...for use as clasps or just plain old buttons, or dangles, or whatever!  So I made one to see how it would turn out.  I kind of like it.  I'm not thrilled with it, it needs to be more sophisticated, but I do like the general idea.


Then I made a lentil-shaped bead as well.  I don't like this as much.  To me there's too much space at the top and bottom where the bead hole is.  Although if you were going to string it you would use another bead or a bead cap anyways, so maybe the space doesn't matter as much as I think it does... what do you think?  This one turned out a bit wonky anyways and don't like the dot placement - in fact, I would probably put a heart or a twisted flower in the middle of these beads instead of dots.  Or I'd wear my glasses under my didys *lampwork glasses* (if they fit) so I could see better and place the dots better!!!!


Hope you enjoyed the process!

10 comments :

  1. wow! Great work, I allways stop making this way of flowers after the first ;-) Hugs, Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the flowers, you're right about the extra dots giving it just a bit more interest. The buttons work I think. I don't know anything about working with glass, can you add a metal ring/shank to them instead of the glass shank? Might be a little bit more refined that way, not that I have a problem with the one you made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! These would surely brighten up the mostly dead plant on my windowsill! ;-) Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how your flowers turned out, could you either add something to the back of them to use them as focals for pendants or put a hole in one petal. Otherwise they would make great plant pokes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so super cute! I don't really like house plants, but may have to get some just so I can add some cute plant pokes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sue these are the most gorgous flowers!!!!! You have really made them sparkle!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.