Sunday, July 14, 2013

Coloring Porcelain

I recently became fascinated by the work of Chris Campbell and her use of Mason Stains to color porcelain, as shown in this beautiful platter she created...

Urban Conflux, by Chris Campbell 

I was very pleased to see that she offered an online lesson in coloring porcelain. I eagerly read it and followed up with other research. Then I ordered a small set of stains to start my own experiments...


Using small bits of porcelain, and with the proper precautions of wearing gloves and a dust mask, I mixed and wedged several color samples. 











I got a huge kick out of making a rainbow palette of beads...





I next played with techniques to combine different colors to make multi-colored beads...








I barely dipped my toe into coloring porcelain, but I see tons of possibilities here! After I get through Bead Fest in August I plan to spend more time playing - stay tuned!

12 comments :

  1. Oh my gosh Karen what fabulous colours you picked and those multi's look like they could be great fun!
    I'll be watching this with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW WOW WOW WOW!!! I can not wait to see these!!!! What fun you had!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These colours are luscious, Karen... can't wait to see the finished articles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love all those colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This medium is very intriguing. I love the colors of the beads you made. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've definitely got some winners there! I love the stripes. Will the colors darken after firing, or stay the same?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing a great technique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I just love your photos, Karen! I love seeing this interesting new process as well! I am excited to see how these will look post firing and if you intend to layer glazes over the bases. So awesome! xo Genea

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a Zen to it - as it takes a while to patiently mix each color. I look forward to your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the photo with the rainbow of beads. Reminds me of getting a brand new box of crayons or something. It has the same exact effect as seeing all those colors, pristine, in a beautiful arrangement pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! I had no idea you could color porcelain. Seeing the whole process was fascinating. Love your rainbow and I'm looking forward to seeing them post-firing. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my...now you can use polymer clay techniques to create color blends and canes and swirls and..and..gosh this makes me want to do porcelain. Beautiful Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.