Saturday, July 12, 2014

Birds of a Feather...

Last fall, when I first started playing with polymer clay, I played around and created a few little birdies.  Just experiments, didn't even finish them.  I thought they were cute, but not really sure how I would pursue them.

My 1st attempt!
Fast forward to this week...I found some polymer clay on sale at Michael's and bought a bit and played a little and decided to revisit the birdies.  My 1st ones were a bit flat, although I love the addition of the flowers.  This time I tried to keep them a bit rounder, made the flowers a bit smaller and started out with a neutral base.


Here is sort of a flow chart collage of their evolution!


I wasn't sure where to go from there, but stumbled on a tutorial from an artist I admire, Staci Louise Smith, on a crackle glaze technique.  Note to self, make sure you have the correct materials before you start a process!  I had everything but the crackle glaze, but since I am impatient and want to do everything when I want to do it, used a different type than the tutorial stated that I found at Michael's...I will be ordering the kind Staci recommended. My version didn't actually crackle!



Here is where I am now...aside from the "no-crackle" finish, I am smitten by their shabby folk-art look.  I definitely see more polymer clay birds in my future!

Melissa Meman

6 comments :

  1. I love your chubby birds! and the flowers really do lend them that "folk art" element. Your antique-style finish is divine, can't wait to see it with crackle! I think these are lovely just as they are, too. You've got a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Especially with those flower wings. Can't wait to see what you create with them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they're super cute...even without the crackle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cuties! I love their sweet rustic look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH OH OH OH Super Duper Cute!!!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.