Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Ch...Ch...Chained!

I always like to encourage people to try new things when it comes to their jewelry.  In the short time I've been teaching myself chain maille, I've noticed that many maillers are purists or typically only include metal or crystal beads in their work.  I also see that there aren't many art bead enthusiasts using chain maille.  If you are curious about giving it a try then start with Byzantine weave.  It looks complicated but it's actually pretty easy!  

You can find a free tutorial for Byzantine weave over at The Ring Lord by clicking here.

Earrings are a quick and easy way to start when incorporating chain maille into your work.  I've made a couple of pairs recently.

These stoneware seashell charms are paired with Byzantine links made from turquoise and brown anodized aluminum rings.  I created them for the Bead Cruise Jewelry Inspiration Challenge that I hosted over the weekend on Facebook.
I made these cuties a few days ago.  They feature enameled frog charms from Gardanne Beads, my own aqua-glazed stoneware beads and half a Byzantine weave link out of green and brown anodized aluminum rings.  See, you don't even have to use a full link to incorporate some chain maille in your work!
I also have these fiery Byzantine links ready to go.  I want to pair them with a smaller, porcelain version of my chili pepper charms similar to these stoneware ones...

I hope these inspire you to give chain maille with art beads a try!

Happy Beading!

Diana P.

3 comments :

  1. Interesting observation about the gap between mediums. I love the combination that you have designed and your color palettes are always fantastic! Fun stuff!! --Rita Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome stuff, Diana! There are a few of us who use art beads with chainmaille, but you're right--it doesn't seem all that common. Or maybe I've just missed others who are doing it. At any rate, thanks for the publicity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your examples are so much fun and are great examples for combining techniques/styles! My favorite are those cute bitty chili peppers!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.